Providence H.S., NC
    Smithfield-Selma H.S., NC
    Spartanburg H.S., SC
    Summerville H.S., SC
    Tennessee H.S., TN
    Wakefield H.S., NC
    West Carteret H.S., NC
    West Johnston H.S., NC

BOA finally put a regional in the state of North Carolina. And although this competition is still less than 6 months away, what do you guys think? 1) Which bands will do well? 2) Which bands should we watch out for? 3) Who will make it past prelims and into finals? 4) And lastly, who do you think will be the first band to be called Regional Champions at this first ever regional event?

Default Re: 2013 BOA Winston-Salem, NC Regional

One thing we do know: The regional will be moved. Where, we don't know.

I for one am very disappointed that this show will have to be moved. WFU is an excellent band venue for the audience in both acoustics and sightlines. And excellent for the bands in logistics.

As far as finalists my picks are:

Cape Fear
    Cary
    Dobyns Bennett
    Father Ryan
    Fort Mill
    Green Hope
    Hickory
    Smithfield-Selma
    Summerville
    West Carteret

I won't try to put these in order as bands in this part of the country can vary widely in quality from year to year. But I would guess that it will probably be between Fort Mill and Dobyns Bennett to win. But who knows though, someone else could end up being really hot this year and steal it.

Regardless of what the eventual outcome is I am looking forward to this show. The band I work with hasn't attended a BOA event since 2010 so it will be fun to get back into it!

I was disappointed that they moved the date. This event coincides with the South Carolina Upper State Championships. I would have liked to see more SC bands compete. SC Bands in classes 1-4 will have to choose to not compete in SC Upper State Championship. It looks that Chapin and Fort Mill will not compete in the SC State Championships this year. Chapin is in 3A in SC and Fort Mill is in 4A. I would have like to seen Rock Hill and Northwestern both compete in this event. I am still hoping some more SC 5A class bands will sign up for this event. Would love to see Boiling Springs, White Knoll, and Wando at this event. Also, when this Regional was first announced as being on Oct 12 and before they moved a Regional on Oct 19 from Jacksonville, AL to McEachern, GA, the GA bands will more likely go to McEachern on Oct 19. Again, would love to seen some Cobb County, GA Bands in this event as well. Would have made for a super competitive debut for this Regional. What could have been...

But as far as finalists, I would say:

Father Ryan
    Dobyns Bennett
    Chapin
    Cary
    Fort Mill
    Green Hope
    Cape Fear
    Chantilly
    James Madison
    Hickory
    Last edited by SCBand; 04-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBand View Post
    I was disappointed that they moved the date. This event coincides with the South Carolina Upper State Championships. I would have liked to see more SC bands compete. SC Bands in classes 1-4 will have to choose to not compete in SC Upper State Championship. It looks that Chapin and Fort Mill will not compete in the SC State Championships this year. Chapin is in 3A in SC and Fort Mill is in 4A. I would have like to seen Rock Hill and Northwestern both compete in this event. I am still hoping some more SC 5A class bands will sign up for this event. Would love to see Boiling Springs, White Knoll, and Wando at this event. Also, when this Regional was first announced as being on Oct 12 and before they moved a Regional on Oct 19 from Jacksonville, AL to McEachern, GA, the GA bands will more likely go to McEachern on Oct 19. Again, would love to seen some Cobb County, GA Bands in this event as well. Would have made for a super competitive debut for this Regional. What could have been...

Father Ryan
    Dobyns Bennett
    Chapin
    Cary
    Fort Mill
    Green Hope
    Cape Fear
    Chantilly
    James Madison
    Hickory
    I would Imagine Chapin is going to pull out of this regional and attend 3A. But for the First time in forever Fort Mill won't be attending the state marching band contest, so they will be the only SC 4A band. (odd since they won 4A last year). But Totally agree that this regional "could" have been super competitive, however most of those bands will be in powder springs, while other decent southern bands, (wando, tarpon, Lafayette and kennesaw) Haven't attended early regionals (before atlanta) in many years. Also Boiling Springs and White Knoll (who is undergoing a school Split) are both going to have new directors for the 2013 season.
    Last edited by Marimba11; 04-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Byrnes and Boiling Springs are both hosting competitions that weekend, so I believe it was probably a scheduling issue with them. Also, BS is already registered for Atlanta and Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBand View Post

Father Ryan
    Dobyns Bennett
    Chapin
    Cary
    Fort Mill
    Green Hope
    Cape Fear
    Chantilly
    James Madison
    Hickory

Hi, I'm new here and had some questions on your opinions. What ate your opinions on Cary, Cape Fear. West Carteret, Panther Creek, and West Johnston?

Quote Originally Posted by EastNcbandmember View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and had some questions on your opinions. What ate your opinions on Cary, Cape Fear. West Carteret, Panther Creek, and West Johnston?
    This year panther creek is the best band in the state IMHO..west carteret and cape fear and cary aren't too far behind.. Ever since West Johnstons' former band director scandal they haven't been the same and so far this year they haven't done too hot... I don't believe Panther creek is at Winston-Salem today though but cape fear and west carteret should definitely make finals and cary also has a decent chance.

Panther Creek came in second place overall at the Fuquay-Varina Festival of Bands on October 19, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by nomimesplease View Post
    Panther Creek came in second place overall at the Fuquay-Varina Festival of Bands on October 19, 2013.
    Yeah I was there...very disappointed in their performance, and I take back my comment...based on what green hope did in winston-salem compared to cape fear, cary, etc I would say they are the best now