September 21, 2013
    Kettering, OH-Kettering Fairmont HS
    Monroeville, PA-Gateway HS

September 28, 2013
    Austin, TX-Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex
    SE Michigan/NW Ohio Area-Site TBD

October 5, 2013
    Conroe, TX-Woodforest Bank Stadium
    Muncie, IN-Ball State University (Site Tentative.)

October 12, 2013
    Denton, TX-University of North Texas (Site Tentative.)

October 18-19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO-Edward Jones Dome (Super Regional.)

October 19, 2013
    SITE CHANGE: Powder Springs, GA-McEachern HS (originally at Jacksonville State Universty.)
    DATE CHANGE: Winston-Salem, NC-Wake Forest University (Site Tentative.)

October 25-26, 2013
    Atlanta, GA-Georgia Dome (Super Regional)

October 26, 2013
    Towson, MD-Towson University

November 1st-2nd, 2013
    San Antonio, TX-Alamo Dome (Super Regional).

November 2nd, 2013
    St. George, UT-Dixie State College

November 8th-9th, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN-Lucas Oil Stadium (Super Regional.)

November 9th, 2013
    TBD (Ayala HS Confirmed Backup)

November 14-16, 2013
    Grand Nationals-Indianapolis, IN
    Last edited by dbalash; 02-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: 2013 BOA Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by dbalash View Post
    2013 BOA Schedule is posted!

September 21, 2013
    Kettering, OH-Kettering Fairmont HS
    Monroeville, PA-Gateway HS

September 28, 2013
    Austin, TX-Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex
    SE Michigan/NW Ohio Area-Site TBD

October 5, 2013
    Conroe, TX-Woodforest Bank Stadium
    Muncie, IN-Ball State University (Site Tentative.)

October 12, 2013
    Denton, TX-University of North Texas (Site Tentative.)
    Winston-Salem, NC-Wake Forest University (Site Tentative.)

October 18-19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO-Edward Jones Dome (Super Regional.)

October 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, AL-Jacksonville State University

October 25-26, 2013
    Atlanta, GA-Georgia Dome (Super Regional)

October 26, 2013
    Mid Atlantic Area-Site TBD

November 1st-2nd, 2013
    San Antonio, TX-Alamo Dome (Super Regional).

November 2nd, 2013
    St. George, UT-Dixie State College

November 8th-9th, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN-Lucas Oil Stadium (Super Regional.)

November 9th, 2013
    TBD (Ayala HS Confirmed Backup)

November 14-16, 2013
    Grand Nationals-Indianapolis, IN

So let's see. First, let's start with the positives! How awesome is a NC regional finally!! Should draw a pretty big crowd as long as they checked the local schedules in the area to make sure it doesn't overlap. No Louisville regional.....that has been dwindling over the past few years so good to see them recognize that and drop it. Same goes with the Akron regional.
    Now, onto the others. 4 regionals in TX? Really? And all within about 250 miles of each other. I know TX is huge and there are a ton of bands, but really 4? How about moving the Denton regional to Oklahoma? Maybe then you could pull in some more northern bands from KS, SD, MN, CO or so. There are still too many regionals in the greater Indy area. I know that a lot of the BOA bands are within 250 miles of Indy, but a regional in Indy,and Muncie? With another regional in Kettering and SE MI/NW OH? That seems a bit overkill.

I know I go off every year when the schedule comes out, but it seems that there is no drive for expansion of the brand. I've been asking for years for a regional in the Denver area. Or an OK/KS area regional. Couldn't you hold an outdoor regional in the Twin Cities area in late September/early October? It's great that they are expanding into the Carolinas market, but how about some more. I know the " bread and butter" or money making regionals is those in TX and OH/IN so they will never go away. I would just like to see some expansion. How about moving the CA to Sacramento? Involve some other groups and I bet those from the LA area will still make the trip. I know I'm old school and remember a time when there were 6 or 7 regionals a year and it really meant something just to make finals. Now it seems that with so many regionals, you just have to pick the right one and you are guaranteed a finals spot. I think BOA could truely be a national organization, but they gotta try and expand to the western area.
    [B]Sarcasm[/B]: The Other White Meat

Just when you think you've got the answers, I go and change the questions!!

Skramp, I was trying to like your post on here...LOL....

The L'ville regional didn't happen b/c of the &*^%$#^ football coach. However a regional still could have been held at WKU, Murray, or even MTSU, to keep a regional convenient for schools in that particular area or within a radius.

The scope of things have changed with Districts being canceled and a regional at Ball State to sort of draw from upper IN. The only thing with Muncie there are not many nice hotels there to host IF and only IF a number of bands would come from a traveling distance where they needed to stay the weekend.

The dynamics of the Indpls Super Regional has changed as well because it is after state. The plus in this some bands may be able to attend a regional before nationals. I personally don't think the same IN bands will be attending. Well obviously there are always the repeaters.

But expansion could always be had. There is the Dome in Syracuse, NY. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skramp View Post
    Couldn't you hold an outdoor regional in the Twin Cities area in late September/early October? .
    Maybe we'll get a Twin Cities regional in 2016 when the new stadium replacing the Metrodome opens. Honestly, though, I really couldn't see too much interest in a regional up there...few Minnesota bands, few Wisconsin bands, and not much else, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ukbigblue_67 View Post
    But expansion could always be had. There is the Dome in Syracuse, NY. We'll see.
    That's USBands land, not to mention a mediocre sounding stadium. Don't think it will happen.

There's 16 regionals scheduled for 2013. By FY 2017, BOA wants 18 regionals plus GN. We'll see what untapped markets BOA could conquer by then.
    Last edited by dbalash; 12-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Why put shows in TX/IN? They make money, that's why.

Get people to show up at shows in other areas and they'll have 'em. I'm happy to see some measure of fiscal responsibility along with the obvious careful expansion (NC). Expand where you know you have a market - the market will grow. This isn't rocket surgery, and shows are expensive. There's other expenses you guys just don't consider, like putting stuff on a truck and paying someone to drive it around out west - the timing of all of that actually has to be thought about, as does the ability/expense of the show staff, judges, and BOA staff to travel to certain areas. If it costs $400 each for 7 judges, 4 staff members and 4-6 show staff to fly to a place, not to mention stadium fees, hotels, meals, paychecks, and other expenses, then that show better have more than 14 bands, you know what I'm saying? This stuff has to be done carefully.
    Your lasting reputation as a music program doesn't come from the show you produce and put on the field this year. It comes from how you, your staff, your boosters, parents and students all treat each other and the people around them.

Wake Forest University will be an excellent venue for a BOA regional. I went to the US Bands show there in 2011 and from an audience perspective it's great. The acoustics are outstanding as are the sight lines. The logistics are also pretty good for the bands.

I think this regional should draw a good sized lineup of bands, at least 20. There are a lot of bands in NC/SC that occasionally compete in BOA but aren't able to on a regular basis due to lack of funding. So there should be quite a few that will attend since it is so close.

I would definitely expect to see these bands attend:
    Cary
    Green Hope
    Cape Fear
    Panther Creek
    West Johnston
    Boiling Springs
    Wando (maybe)
    Nation Ford or Fort Mill (they don't compete with each other except for state championships)
    Smithfield-Selma

I won't guess as to other bands that would go but I would expect a few others from NC at least that could contend to make finals. Hopefully this regional can also draw some bands from VA, MD, GA, and TN. I could also see a band like Bourbon County or Norwin making the trip down as both have traveled to the Western Carolina University competition before.

I'm looking forward to it!!
    Last edited by Quinniethetrumpetman; 12-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.

[QUOTE=dbalash;481013]Maybe we'll get a Twin Cities regional in 2016 when the new stadium replacing the Metrodome opens. Honestly, though, I really couldn't see too much interest in a regional up there...few Minnesota bands, few Wisconsin bands, and not much else, maybe.

If there was a regional in Minnesota held at the end of September, you would for sure get Marshall, Rosemount, Eastview, Eden Prairie, and Irondale for sure. You could easily probably get bands such as Grand Rapids, Waseca, River Falls, Bellevue East, Bellevue West, Waukesha North, and Sioux Falls Roosevelt. Having the regional in the Twin Cities would probably grab at least another maybe 4-5 Minnesota Bands, 7-10 Wisconsin bands, and maybe another 10-15 bands within North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa. I personally think that if a regional was in Minnesota, it would go fairly well.

I'm surprised there isn't a KY regional in Lexington - that's where DCI made the move to. I'm honestly wondering why some bands would participate in the Indy regional the week before GN... in my opinion, that kind of takes away the whole experience of going to GN - performing in that massive stadium in front of thousands of people in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamer View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't a KY regional in Lexington - that's where DCI made the move to. I'm honestly wondering why some bands would participate in the Indy regional the week before GN... in my opinion, that kind of takes away the whole experience of going to GN - performing in that massive stadium in front of thousands of people in the audience.
    As far as I know, marching bands/drum corps competitions are not allowed at the University of Kentucky.

Why wouldn't you do the Indianapolis regional if local and planning on doing Grand Nationals? It gives a good read on the show as some of those judges will be at GN the next week, and it gives one last idea on what needs to change-believe me, we listened to tapes from Indianapolis one year and the next day we were out changing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamer View Post
    Huh? That's like saying you wouldn't play a round of golf on a course before you play a tournament there. Or you wouldn't take a couple laps around a racetrack before the actual race.

I think that it is a huge advantage for groups like Avon, Lawrence Central, Carmel, Ben Davis, Western, Forest Park, Center Grove......They get to perform for 3 straight weeks in the Lucas Oil. By the time Nats rolls around, they have addressed every balance issue possible and have changed their show to be performed as best it can in the stadium. Yes, it takes away from the experience, but realistically, that "Grand" experience really only applies to smaller programs that have one or two big shows a year.
    [B]Sarcasm[/B]: The Other White Meat

Just when you think you've got the answers, I go and change the questions!!