Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Nationals list now posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisco View Post
    You know, there's only one way to move beyond this discussion...

GRAND NATIONALS PREDICTIONS!!! YAY!!!11!!!1!!

I think Avon and Carmel and Lawrence Central and Ben Davis and Broken Arrow and Union and Owasso and Marian Catholic and The Woodlands and Claudia Taylor Johnson and Spring and Centerville all have a shot at finals!!1!!!1!

*opinion subject to change at any moment*
    Let me introduce you to my good friend, the comma

Default Re: Grand Nationals list now posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Henson View Post
    Diatribe? Condescending? I'll decline to reply and allow my earlier suggestions to stop maligning the judges, refrain from calling each other names, and volunteer for your favorite group to stand precisely as they were written.

I am not Music For All. I do not work in their office, and while I understand the confusion I get from some folks every year, I am not Chuck. We just share a last name - we're not even related. I know him, saw him yesterday in fact, and I only wish I could be that consistently friendly and energetic. Because I am not Music For All, and I do not work there, I cannot speak for them and give you any reason that the schedule isn't ready yet. I will point out that historically it has not been released any earlier other than to participating bands, because it is not finalized. As we've seen in this thread, there are people who would turn every minor schedule change post-release into some pernicious conspiracy at work, and I imagine they want to avoid that. Just a guess.

I can't tell you why the schedule hasn't been released, but I can tell you that I, like you. am just a guy on an internet forum. Yeah, I have a "moderator" tag, but that basically means I delete spam. I'd like to talk about other things, without all of the misplaced anger. As a fellow fan, I'm suggesting a few things to enrich your experience so that scores and who is the "winner" doesn't matter as much. First, volunteer. It's worthwhile, whether it's for an individual group or the show itself. Second, donate, with the same caveats. Ohio and Pennsylvania bands in particular are having major funding issues. Third, don't take yourself so seriously. It's just high school marching band.
    Open discourse stifled.

I'd be interested to hear people's picks for semifinals as well. I feel even less comfortable predicting semis than I do predicting finals.

Quote Originally Posted by muse View Post
    Compared to the 2010 finalists, yes, this may as well be an easier year.

But this isn't 2010. Look at the potential finalists- there are a lot more than you think there are.
    What I mean is: 2010 was tense, and this year will be tense also, just a downplay in the quality of Grand Nationals as a whole for this year compared to last year. The quality and competition between the bands this year are about the same level.

Avon, Ben Davis, Broken Arrow, Boiling Springs, Carmel, Center Grove, Centerville, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Hebron, Lafayette, Lake Central, Lake Park, Lawrence Central, Lincoln-Way East (15th place last year at Grand Nationals), Marian Catholic, Norwin, Pflugerville, Rockford, Spring, The Woodlands, Union, Walled Lake Central, Wando, Waukesha North, West Johnson, William Mason

That's 26 bands there. You can also add the outside bubbles Adair County, Blue Springs, Bourbon County, Cary, Northmont, Norwell, Ravenwood, Victor J. Andrew, and Western. (I feel that the few A bands, especially Bourbon County, can crack the top 20 this year.). That gives a total of 35 bands. Possibly three definite finalists (Avon, Broken Arrow, and Carmel), and that gives us 32 bands left.

Quite honestly, I feel that Marian Catholic and Lawrence Central can be overtaken/be tied with some of these bands (The four Texas bands), which is why I didn't include them with the definite finalists.
    Though some of the names have changed - I feel this captures the competetiveness of numbers 14 through 30 pretty concisely. There is room for some dark horses to shine, but also for some exceptional programs to be left in the stands on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by 13strokeroll View Post
    Open discourse stifled.
    I am picturing Henson banging his head against the wall.

What exactly would you have liked him to write, that would NOT have been "stifling to open discourse"?

As I read his response, he was just letting you know that although he participates as a valued volunteer at BOA events, he has no insider information about the release of the Nats schedule, and certainly no say in its timing.

How exactly did that stifle your expression of your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebandfan View Post
    I am picturing Henson banging his head against the wall.

What exactly would you have liked him to write, that would NOT have been "stifling to open discourse"?

As I read his response, he was just letting you know that although he participates as a valued volunteer at BOA events, he has no insider information about the release of the Nats schedule, and certainly no say in its timing.

How exactly did that stifle your expression of your opinion?
    Perhaps if you read the thread further.

Geez man, just please quit. I think you have sucessfully hijacked a thread that I would like to get others opinions about the COMPETITION. Not some tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy theory wanting, sour grapes spouting diatribe.

Who here saw the Houston regional. What were your opinions? Yeah I want to know about Lafayette, but I refuse to say anything this year. Learned my lesson. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 13strokeroll View Post
    Perhaps if you read the thread further.
    I have read every word of the thread. and the article.

So if everyone does not capitulate and agree with your theories, YOUR opinion has been stifled?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisco View Post
    I'd be interested to hear people's picks for semifinals as well. I feel even less comfortable predicting semis than I do predicting finals.
    Judging, by the schedule, if you're on Thu, you might have to work more than your butt of to be the next 8.

Here is my list of Semifinals in no order:

1.) Adair
    2.) Caramel
    3.) Avon (IN)
    4.) Broken Arrow
    5.) Marian Catholic
    6.) Lawrence Central
    7.) The Woodlands
    8.) Walled Lake Central
    9.) Hebron
    10.) Reeths Puffer
    11.) Wando