Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owasso Invitational

Default Owasso Invitational

All I can say is WTF?I've been around marching band contests to know when something is f'ed up.First of all,the band that my brother is in got 10th,i predicted they would get 11th,so i have no complaint there.But Berryhill beat Union and Jenks.My argument is that if they are really using a BOA judging system,then an easy cheesy show like that shouldn't have gotten first.I doubt that most of Berryhill's members could march Union's show if they tried.If you were there,you would be outraged too.The only justifications I have heard are,"I'm glad to see a small band take out all of the 6A's" and "They were so clean".But in all honestly it's easy to clean easy drill with a 40 member band than it is for a 150-200 piece band.I come from a small band,and I realize smaller bands can clean up drill easier.I guess I'm just tired of the band that has shirts that say "Back-to-Back OBA champs" and paint their buses on the way to OBA with"82.1 what did they get?".If the band I was in would've made shirts like that in 2003,we would've had,"Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-Back OBA Grand Champions."gah,it's freakin band not football.Have a little class rednecks.

Default RE: Owasso Invitational

Oh yeah,by the way Owasso kicked arse.

Back in Tulsa (finally!) after 7 years in Manhattan (Kansas, not NY)

Do you have the finals scores? If so, can you post them?

Thanks.
    -Laura J. Spitvalve

I was extremely impressed with Berryhill. They played clean, they marched clean, and they really sold it to the crowd. It was a great performance. I understand why they won.

Did you see Union? And Jenks? Dirty, dirty, dirty. The feet were realy pretty bad. I thought Union performed with a lot of energy, and that really helped them glide over the rough patches in the show, but they were struggling to keep time. I was kind of surprised they won prelims, because their show was so loose. They were tighter in finals, much tighter, but it was still pretty loose. I wish there was some more contrast in the show, I kind of got tired of hearing pretty much the same movement repeated. I understand what they're going for, but I think there's still room for contrast and diversity in the show. Jenks...well that was a placement I don't know that I really agreed with. Didn't think they marched or played that great.

Here were finals placements:
    1. Berryhill
    2. Union
    3. Jenks
    4. Westmoore
    5. Sapulpa
    6. Moore (!)
    7. Bixby
    8. Bartlesville
    9. Fayetteville
    10. Collinsville
    11. Skiatook
    12. Stillwater

An extremely surprising day.

all I'm saying is that they shouldn't reward berryhill for having such a freakin simple show.Sure they marched it clean,but like I said,I doubt that most of berryhill's students could march Union's show.I don't care about Jenks,I honestly think Westmoore should've been ahead of them.

Why did you (!) Moore? Did you think they were good, bad or just indifferent. No big deal, just kinda want to get a feel what people are thinking. Not really looking for an at-a-boy either. I know not to try and get one of those. I see what you guys do to people and I don't want any part of that! :-)

I thought Moore did pretty good,just looked like it was just a little dirty 'cause it's still early season.I made so many jokes about "agitating the dots".I was mostly impressed with Westmoore's improvement.Everyone was a little dirty,well everyone that had a challenging show design was dirty.But as the results show,show design doesn't matter at all.

I agree with both. Berryhill was amazingly clean and the sound was great, but the judges were from large BOA bands and nothing happened with the "small and easy shows wont make it in a big competetion"(like BOA). There were some difficult parts in the show, but otherwise it was great because of level of difficulty. Im not arguing with the placement cause i liked their show a lot, and they performed it amazingly. Union was my next favorite, I thought they had won. Some of the marching was iffy, but the music sounded great to me. Jenks' was too busy for me as far as the music, but they looked pretty good. Congrats to all class winners- Union, Bixby, Collinsville, and Berryhill!

I was surprised to see Moore so low. As far as I know, that may have been the first time Sapulpa has beaten them; it was at least the first time in a long time. I didn't get to see Moore yesterday, but when I saw them earlier in the season I thought they looked really strong.

Moore looked somewhat strong in prelims,but I guess finals weren't so good.But yeah Congrats to all the class winners,Bixby did really good even though I couldn't really pick out the pink floyd haha.