Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Band Director in Seguin

Default New Band Director in Seguin

Seguin school board just announced Mark Buley as the new band director. Opinions? I wish the band program the best. Be patient as there will be some changes as with any change in personnel. Good luck!!

(Seguin) -- The Mighty Matador Marching Band will now be lead by Mark Buley. The Seguin ISD Board of Trustees last night approved the appointment of Buley as the new head band director at Seguin High School. Buley who currently serves as the associate band director at Judson ISD says his knowledge of the Matador band program has him excited about making the switch to Seguin.

"I have had a lot of contacts with Seguin High School. I was the Region XIII band chairman for the region of which Seguin is a part. Also, Mark Waymire, the director from two directors ago actually wrote drill for me while I was at Alamo Heights High School and then also Mark wrote drill and music for the Judson Band program three years ago," said Buley. "I know historically they've done very well at marching contest and at concert contest. I know Mr. Waymire and Mr. McKeithen have both done a great job as band directors."

Buley, who obtained his bachelors and masters degree in music education from the University of Texas at Austin, says he believes his experience will help move the band program forward.

"I bring 19 years of experience from three different school districts -- Victoria Stroman High School was my first job for four years before I went back to UT to get my master's degree and I spent nin years at Alamo Heights -- six of those as the head band director and the last six years, I've been at Judson as the assistant band director," said Buley. "I'm looking to improve the retention of the students in the program and build the membership. The one thing that I'm hoping to do to this transition is to maintain and improve upon hopefully the performance abilities of the students and also I'm hoping to improve enrollment. We have 185 beginning students starting this year and if we start 185 beginners each year for the next three years (and) then bring at least half of those kids to the high school, then you're looking at a high school band program of 300-350 and right now, there are about 220."

Buley will replace band director Steve Mckeithen. McKeithen who served the district for the past 10 years, will resign next month.

We have 185 beginning students starting this year and if we start 185 beginners each year for the next three years (and) then bring at least half of those kids to the high school, then you're looking at a high school band program of 300-350 and right now, there are about 220."
    Good Lord!! 185 beginners in middle school, I'm assuming. How many middle schools feed into Sequin?

I wish Sequin the best of luck this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dbalash View Post
    Good Lord!! 185 beginners in middle school, I'm assuming. How many middle schools feed into Sequin?

I wish Sequin the best of luck this year.
    Two middle schools feed into Seguin HS.
    Last edited by Trivandrum; 05-25-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."

Quote Originally Posted by rklekar View Post
    I spent nin years at Alamo Heights --
    Wow...Nin years, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Trivandrum View Post
    Two middle schools feed into Seguin HS.
    and there's 185 beginners between 2 schools?

Yowza.

SeGuin, not sequin...big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by rklekar View Post
    SeGuin, not sequin...big difference...
    sorry. I'm quite blind. And I don't read things carefully.

Default excellent good

That should be good for Seguin. They went from perennial finalists (including a Finalist spot at the uber competitive 2000 Houston Regional) to struggling middle band. Let's see if they can bring their concert band up to par, as their marching band has always heavily overshadowed any concert band achievements.

i've been wondering this for about 7 years... how do you pronounce "seguin"?
    imdiggingahole's Profile Page
    Adam Pelletier's Facebook profile

Quote Originally Posted by 10 seconds left etc. View Post
    i've been wondering this for about 7 years... how do you pronounce "seguin"?
    Seh-geen. You pronounce the G with a hard accent, such as in game or great.

The More You Know.....
    Danpod Valdres - Master of Timed Wit and Marmalade Creamcakes
    Member, Moderator, and Podcast Host on Txbands.com
    The Bands of America 2005 - 2006 Forums Deathmatch Champion

Daniel Valdez's Facebook profile