Thread: MCBA State Championships

Default MCBA State Championships

With the Silverdome being torn down, does anyone know where they will be holding State? I've heard rumors of it being held at EMU but please tell me it's false because I don't want to be sitting outside in November for a few hours, plus it'll really mess with the tuning.
    ACE Member
    2005 Crew Member Magnum XL-200 & Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point, Sandusky OH
    2005 Team Leader Shivering Timbers, Michigan's Adventure, Muskegon MI
    2004 Co-Assistant Team Leader Shivering Timbers Crew, Michigan's Adventure, Muskegon MI

Mona Shores Graduate C/O 2004
    2000-Z (MCBA Flight II State Champions)
    2001-City Rhythm Suite (MCBA Flight II 1st Runner Up)
    2002-Sketches of Spain (MCBA Flight II 2nd Runner Up)
    2003-Internal Combustion, A Celebration of the American Autombile (MCBA Flight II State Champions)
    -Ryan Woirol-
    Mona Shores High School Alumnus
    2003-Internal Combustion: A Celebration of the American Automobile (MCBA Flight II State Champion)
    2000-Z (MCBA Flight II State Champion)

Default RE: MCBA State Championships

My information is a little old, but my dad said at the pre-states meeting it sounded like if Ford Field was available that would probably be the site. Haven't heard anything since then, so we'll see what happens.

If it is Ford Field they will probably have to go to a dock time like they do at Nationals. Good news though is there is no more airlock door to break down and maybe there won't be an inch of standing water in the home lockers bathroom from toilet water overflow. Bad news is the entrance tunnel is pretty long and it curves all the way down to the field. Should make it interesting with some of the larger props.

I have also heard EMU thrown around, but they weren't sure about availability since EMU gave Flushing the boot this past year.

i too have heard ford field. that would be nice.

I've never been in Ford Field, but it would be a lot better than EMU. It would be a tuning nightmare to play at EMU in November. I guess time will only tell.
    ACE Member
    2005 Crew Member Magnum XL-200 & Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point, Sandusky OH
    2005 Team Leader Shivering Timbers, Michigan's Adventure, Muskegon MI
    2004 Co-Assistant Team Leader Shivering Timbers Crew, Michigan's Adventure, Muskegon MI

Mona Shores Graduate C/O 2004
    2000-Z (MCBA Flight II State Champions)
    2003-Internal Combustion, A Celebration of the American Autombile (MCBA Flight II State Champions)
    -Ryan Woirol-
    Mona Shores High School Alumnus
    2003-Internal Combustion: A Celebration of the American Automobile (MCBA Flight II State Champion)
    2000-Z (MCBA Flight II State Champion)

States will be at Ford field if the Lions make it available on October 28th. If Ford Field is not available on that day it will be held at high schools on November 4th, extending the season one week. It will be probably be divided up by flight. We should all know in April when the football schedule is announced.

From last I heard, Ford Field was a very good possibility for states. Some are also getting States and Regionals mixed up. Regionals is more than likely to be held at EMU. At least, that is what the website says. Hopefully, though, states will be at Ford Field

We are actually looking at two issues MCBA and BOA Regionals.

MCBA has 2 issues: Ford Field availability vs weekend, but the Silverdome had that same problem, so that can be ironed out. The second is parking and the last is costs.

The bigggest problem with Ford field is truck parking, or lack thereof. I think that means that performing at Ford field will be like unloading at Indy's RCA dome in that unlike the Silverdome's immense parking area where you unloaded and stayed as long as needed, at Ford Field crews will have an unload time window to drive up, unload and leave to park nearby (Eastern market or whatever) until you go back to load up after performing.

Ramp access at Ford field is not as good as bands would like either.
    Yes, there is no airlock, but the ramp curves down to the field corner and that is the only way on and off the field, so BOA's method of stacking up the ongoing band in the ramp area will be difficult.

MCBA is a non profit organization, so it is likely Ford Field means higer ticket prices.

Frankly I shudder at the thought of doing the MCBA State Championships outside in early November at EMU, UofM or even MSU. Working the Silverdome airlock ramp get bands into the dome to perform and help get their stuff back up was bad in the cold weather years, but seeing them try to perform in that weather would be worse!

Next BOA:
    First, I hope that Ford Field negotiations are successful because I'd like to see it down there. I also recognize they have similar problems.

I ran into Eric Martin (BOA CEO) while in line to enter the Silverdome for this past Pontiac Regional. I specifically asked him about next years site and he quickly answered he wanted Ford Field but there was nothing set up yet.

I mentioned that band truck parking would be a concern downtown and it appeared he recognized that, but it didn't look like a game breaker, and indeed it won't be.

There are more business tails for BOA in terms of security, concessions, and suite rights, etc. to play in Ford Field. The other big tail is how parking $ are distributed and resolving conflicts with baseball dates if they want to play earlier because Ford Field and Comerica Park share parking. BOA needs to cover their expenses on the event, and Ford Field has a big mortage to pay, and for the attendance, the profit margin is thin especially if BOA doesn't get a share of parking or concession money.

On the other hand, The EMU stadium while it has no roof, isn't that bad of a stadium for band competitions, and the truck parking is pretty handy to get your show on/off the field. Those 2-3weeks between 1st half of october and the end of the month makes a great deal in terms of weather and temperature in the Detroit area.

The bottom line is that there are 2 issues here: Dates and costs/profits.

My guess is that BOA has picked a provisional date and has an agreement with EMU for provisional stadium rights, and Eric's waiting for the Tigers to announce their 2006 schedule and he will move the actual Detroit Regional to an open weekend after closing the deal if he wants a September date, or it will change after he'g got a financially attractive deal with Ford field by June or so.
    If he doesn't have a date by then, figure on going to Ypsi and EMU's stadium for the regional, and if BOA doesn't have a deal, I'd be worried that MCBA won't be successful either.

hmm...granted i dont have much to go by other than what i was given as lakeshores schedule for next fall

Sat. Oct 7 - TBD MCBA Show
    Sat. Oct 14 - Lakeshore HS Invitational
    Sat. Oct 21 - Jenison
    Sat. Oct 28 - State (Ford Field)

correct me if im wrong, but this shouldnt be an october year for state...either that or im losing my mind...so the season is a week shorter with that schedule...hence jenison being the week before state

lakeshore as a result wont be at reeths puffer this year because it was moved to the same weekend as the home invitational

soooo...i dunno...thats just what i have from lakeshore

frankly...id like the BOA regional to be at EMU...because im transfering there in the fall...lol

that mean GN is going to be two weeks after states? or one?